Explore the science that makes music...musical.
What’s In It
Experience sound as you’ve never seen, felt, or heard it before. Use your voice to create a giant laser show. Run a resonance relay race. Rock out to odd instruments and sounds from students. Explore what makes music…musical!
Don’t just take our word for it: hear (and see) it for yourself!
What You Learn
- Vibrations – What is sound? How does sound travel?
- Amplitude – What is volume?
- Frequency – Why do notes sound high or low?
- Interference – How do waves combine to make new sounds?
- Resonance – How do musical instruments make different notes?
SoundScience is great for audiences of 30-300, and can be presented in most spaces which can comfortably accommodate your group size. We only require electricity, a table, and lots of student curiosity!
Next Generation Science Standards
All of our school assemblies align to the Next Generation Science Standards. SoundScience mostly addresses Sound, Waves, Forces, and Energy, with a bit of matter concepts as well.
There are some great online apps for playing with your waves and making sounds and music!
- Waves on a string simulator
- Play a keyboard into an oscilloscope
- Adding waves to make different sounds (fourier series) (downloads a Java applet)
- Take your waves apart, in real-time (uses your microphone, live)
- Real-time audio effects, and a live oscilloscope (uses your microphone, live – turn your speakers down first!)
- Simple Drum Machine, Tonecraft (Drum machine that looks like Minecraft)
If you want to get your own drum machine then check out http://www.kickstartyourdrumming.com/best-drum-machine/.